Frequently Asked Questions

Please choose a category, below, to access answers to your questions. If you don't find the answers you seek, feel free to call us directly at 800.616.1112, or email us. Your question may help out other travelers, and we'll add the question and answer to this list.

Emergency Information | Top

Call the ED Trip Tour Director's Cell Phone (last page of Trip itinerary booklet) OR our office at 800.616.1112. If you get a recording, follow the prompts to reach our 24/7 Manager on Duty. Travelers may use these numbers also.

Tour Directors | Top

To provide professional tour management to your group's trip from beginning to end, which insures that you get what you paid for and frees group leaders to concentrate on educational objectives and to enjoy the travel experience.

Motorcoaches | Top

You may bring snacks and beverages (screw-top, plastic bottles only), as long as you clean up after yourself and treat the coach with respect.

Currently, only a few coaches offer these features, so they are not guaranteed. As demand for these services increases, more coach companies will add them.

Many motorcoaches have Monitors and a DVD player, but they don't supply movies. Contact your director/teacher for approved movies to bring.

Parents and Chaperones | Top

For “all-inclusive trips,” the only extra money needed is for souvenirs, snacks or other personal items. If your trip is not “all-inclusive,” you will be told (and your tour itinerary will state) those meals or tickets, etc., for which the traveler must pay on-site.

A chaperone is an “always-on-duty” parent or staff member who is assigned to monitor and mentor students during a trip. Duties include being in charge of specific students, taking attendance at meeting places or on the motorcoach and administering (in some cases) medications, plus other responsibilities as directed by the director/group leader.

Official trip chaperones are chosen by the director/group leader. If unsure, please register as an adult, and express your interest in serving as a chaperone to your director/group leader. She or he may change your classification once final selections have been made.

How Do I Sign Up Online? | Top

Click on this link, follow the instructions, and sign up.

If the school allows additional family members to travel with the group, you may sign-up each member under one trip account.

Not only will you have 24/7 access to all of the documents presented at the trip kickoff meeting, you may make free electronic trip payments, receive payment invoices and view trip messages and notifications.

Hotels | Top

Standard maximum occupancy in U.S. hotels is four persons to a room, but some hotels accommodate up to six. ED's standard practice is to place four students per room, unless the director/group leader indicates otherwise. Adults make their rooming request directly to the director/group leader.

ED always requests that boys and girls rooms be on separate floors. However, fulfillment of this request is subject to hotel room type availability. Chaperone rooms are assigned to each floor housing students.

ED asks hotels to remove access to pay movies and games, room service and outside phone service. Occasionally, some “pay-for” services cannot be disabled. In those cases, students and adults must pay the hotel for all charges they make.

Most hotels have in-house security personnel on duty. Private security officers may be hired exclusively for the group for an additional charge (from $32 per guard per hour, with a six hour minimum). Guards are instructed to maintain a safe environment on student floors. They have no responsibility to monitor or correct student behavior.

International Travel | Top

ED assists in setting up and promoting concerts. Depending on the destination, the audiences are very good. There is a fee to arrange and promote most concerts, and performance venues often charge rent.

Airline baggage fees have made taking large instruments cost-prohibitive in most cases. Smaller instrument fees are affordable, and small pieces may be carried onto the aircraft free, as personal items. Within the USA and internationally, instrument rental costs are usually less than or equal to airline fees, depending on the number of rental days needed.

Maybe. Because phone types and service plans vary, please check with your cellular service provider to confirm that your phone will work at your destination and to learn what usage costs will be.

Take with you a written prescription from your USA physician for each medication. Keep prescriptions separate from the medications themselves. If lost, a foreign pharmacy can replace them after a short verification phone call to your doctor. (This works in the USA, too!)

Air Travel | Top

Personal Information must be submitted to ED, including name on Photo I.D., full legal name, date of birth, and gender. If traveling internationally, a valid passport is required. Most group air tickets require a non-refundable deposit. Tickets, once issued, are non-refundable. Baggage fees apply to all bags on most flights within the USA. Internationally, no more than one bag is free. Security checks are performed before passengers are cleared for boarding, both in the USA and internationally. The ED Tour Booklet contains specific information on baggage sizes and fees, and about what you may carry on board the aircraft.

Teacher's Resource Center | Top

Accessible only by the Director/Group Leader, this secure information center contains up-to-date information about the trip, copies of documents and tools to make organizational tasks a breeze!

Travel Insurance | Top

That's a personal decision. Travel Insurance is highly recommended whenever:

  • You want to insure against travel risks not covered by your family's medical plan or homeowners insurance.
  • You want to supplement coverage provided by existing insurance policies.
  • You want to cover the cost of high deductibles on your personal insurance policies.
  • There is a risk that you might have to cancel your trip, before departure or en route, thus forfeiting a large sum of money.
  • You are traveling internationally.
Always check with your insurance professional to be sure what your existing policies do and do not cover. Often, instrument insurance and international travel are not covered by homeowner's insurance or medical insurance policies.

Payments | Top

Register as a Payer online with ED, and sign up the travelers for whom you will pay. Then, free payments may be made by credit card, debit card or e-check by logging into your online account. If you prefer, you may write a paper check payable to Educational Destinations (please list traveler's name and trip number on the memo line) and mail it to:

    Educational Destinations
    5348 W. Vermont Street, Suite 200
    Indianapolis, IN 46224

The payment schedule may be accessed by logging into your online account and clicking on the link to "Financial Information", then clicking on "Tour Conditions".

Unfortunately, we can't keep you registered for a trip without a deposit. When you are able to make a deposit and get caught up with your scheduled payments, please call us. If there is space available, we will add you to the trip.

Balances | Top

Your final trip cost is based on total travelers and room occupancy. Once we receive the final rooming list from your group leader (around 28 days before departure), we figure the final price and email you an invoice for your remaining balance due. Your trip's Tour Conditions page lists prices for different numbers of travelers, broken down by room occupancy. View it online by logging in to your account and clicking on “Financial Information”, then clicking on “Tour Conditions”.

Special Needs | Top

When registering for a trip, consider any special needs of your student or traveler. These can range from a physical limitation to a food allergy. When clients share information with us, we can explore options to plan the best possible experience.

A traveler may have a physical limitation, such as a broken leg in a cast. If necessary, we may reserve a handicapped accessible motorcoach. If there is a food allergy, we contact our dining vendors to consider meal alternatives.

Check the “Special Need” box in your registration. This is the best way to let us know that there is a specific concern. When the trip is moved from the Travel Designer stage to the Operations department, your Operations Agent will reach out with an introductory letter to all indicated travelers. Feel free to reply to the Agent with as much information as needed by the indicated due date.

The Operations agent collects all the Special Needs for a trip then reaches out to pertinent vendors with specific requests. Once arrangements are finalized, Special Needs and details are included with the Tour Director materials. Receiving details early from travelers allows us to plan the most appropriate course of action. Once the trip is on the road, our Tour Directors carry Special Needs information to confirm arrangements and advocate for travelers.

We encourage parents to share the Special Needs of their students with their music directors or teachers and chaperones. The adults on the trip are the first contact for students on the road. Our Tour Directors travel with our groups to facilitate pre-planned arrangements, answer traveler’s questions and handle adjustments. Students are also asked to speak directly to an adult on the trip if there is a question or concern. Working together to maintain open communication and share information is key for group travel.

Click here to return to previous page.